You may want to use a click URL that contains query strings for tracking purposes in your email experience. This allows you to use third-party analytics platforms and other tracking tools. Guidelines for how to build a URL are outlined below.
General Query String Rules
- Field-value pairs make up query strings
- An equals sign (=) separates fields and values.
- An ampersand separates (&) pairs of fields and values.
Query String Example
The image below illustrates the different parts that make up a query string.
You can use the process outlined below to customize your click URL with the dynamic variables or merge tokens from your email service provider (ESP).
Passing Dynamic Variables or Merge Tokens to the Click URL
You can add a dynamic variable or merge token from your ESP to your click URL to use pass-through parameters. You can configure this within Monetate before you copy the custom HTML snippet into your ESP.
- Click GENERATE HTML FOR RESPONSYS.
- Input an identifiable name for the parameter from your ESP into PARAMETER NAME.
- Input into VALUE (E.G. MERGE TAG) the merge token exactly as it appears in your ESP, and then click ADD.
To locate the new merge token, scroll through the corresponding content area to the section of the HTML code that includes the parameter.
Once you add the merge token, copy the HTML snippet and paste it into your ESP. Your ESP converts the merge tokens to their actual values when it sends the email. The URL that includes the matching merge tag values passes through to Monetate for tracking purposes in a form similar to this:
<a href ="https://monetate.com/trk/2/b/a-3dd95632/p/example.com/page?mt_euid=1234&mem_lvl=platinum">