Dynamic text is a feature of Content Builder that allows you to display text that changes based on a user's predetermined targeting value.
Dynamic Text Values
This table contains the out-of-the-box values that you can use with dynamic text.
|US State||Any US state, such as Pennsylvania or Massachusetts|
|City||Any US city, such as Atlanta or New York|
|Media Market||Any US media market, such as Philadelphia or Los Angeles|
|Country||Any country, such as United States or Canada|
|Cart Value*||Any cart value in the native site's currency, such as "\$100.00" or "\$5.99"|
|X - Cart Value*||The difference between a pre set amount (x) and the amount in the cart|
|Weather||Any one of four weather values, including sunny, cloudy, raining, or snowing|
|Custom Variable*||Any custom variable currently defined in Monetate|
Note: Custom variables must be sent via the
|Nth Closest Store||Any address from a spreadsheet or database supplied to Monetate|
The following table contains the values that you can use with dynamic text after you upload a location list to Locations Manager. See Upload a Locations List for more information.
|Closest Location Name||Closest store name to visitor|
|Closest Location Address1||Closest first line address to visitor|
|Closest Location Address2||Closest second line address to visitor|
|Closest Location City||Closest city name to visitor|
|Closest Location State/Region||Closest state/region to visitor|
|Closest Location Phone||Phone number to the location closest to the visitor|
|Closest Location Postal Code||Closest postal code to the visitor|
|Closest Location description||Description of location closest to the visitor|
|Closest Location email||An email address that corresponds to the location closest to the visitor|
Adding Dynamic Text
Follow these steps to add dynamic text in Content Builder.
- Launch Content Builder.
- Click Add Layer and then select Text.
- Type the basic message into the text layer, and apply font styling as necessary.
- Click Add dynamic content in the text toolbar.
- Click the arrow to expand Property, and then select the dynamic text option that you want to use.
- Click OK.
- Click anywhere outside of the text box to automatically generate a fallback text layer.
- Click Fallback text layer 1 and then type and style as necessary the fallback text, which only appears to customers who don't match your targeting rules. For example, if you're targeting based on city, a customer whose city cannot be determined sees the fallback text instead of the message containing the dynamic text.
- Make any other changes to the creative that you're creating, then name it, and then click SAVE.
Previewing a Creative with Dynamic Text
Follow these steps to preview a creative to which you've added a dynamic text layer in Content Builder.
- Open the file in Content Builder.
- Click PREVIEW.
- Select an option from Preview with to view the creative with the longest dynamic text value possible; with the shortest dynamic text value possible; or with the fallback text.
Click the X to close the Content Preview modal if you need to revise the file. Ensure you click SAVE after you make any changes.