You can delete a recommendation strategy if it meets one or more of these criteria:
- Isn't used in any recommendations actions in any Web experiences
- Is used in recommendations actions in Web experience drafts or paused Web experiences
- Is part of Product Finder questionnaires that are used in Web experience drafts or paused Web experiences
- Is part of any unused Product Finder questionnaires
You cannot delete a recommendation strategy that's part of an active Web experience.
Determining How a Strategy Is Used
You can quickly find how a recommendation strategy is being used in two places in the Monetate platform:
- The strategy's Experiences modal that you access on the Recommendation Strategies list page
- The strategy's Delete Recommendation Strategy modal that you access by selecting Delete in the additional options menu (...) on the recommendation strategy's configuration page
Both modals show if a strategy isn't used in any Web experiences or is used in any active and inactive Web experiences. The name of each active and inactive experience appears, and you can click an experience's name to open it in Experience Editor.
Active designation in the TYPE column indicates one of the following states:
- The experience is active
- The experience has a scheduled start date and time
- The experience's scheduled end time has passed
If you see the
Active designation in a recommendation strategy's Experiences modal or Delete Recommendation Strategy modal, then you cannot delete it.
Inactive designation in the TYPE column indicates one of the following states:
- The experience is a draft
- The experience is paused.
Unused designation appears in the TYPE column only if the recommendation strategy isn't used in any Web experiences. This designation doesn't indicate that the strategy isn't used in any Web experiences and Product Finder questionnaires.
Finding Strategies in Unused Product Finder Questionnaires
To determine if a recommendation strategy that you want to delete is part of any unused Product Finder questionnaires, navigate to the Product Finder list page, and then use your browser's search tool to look for the strategy's name on the list page.
If you delete a recommendation strategy that's in an unused Product Finder questionnaire without first replacing it with a different strategy, the now-deleted recommendation strategy's name still appears in the RECOMMENDATION STRATEGY column on the Product Finder list page. However, the recommendation strategy selector once configured with the now-deleted strategy reverts to its SELECT RECOMMENDATION STRATEGY state in the Product Finder wizard.
If the strategy is part of an unused Product Finder questionnaire, then follow these steps to replace it.
- Click COMPONENTS in the top navigation bar and then select Product Finder.
- Use your browser's search tool to find on the Product Finder list page any occurrences of the recommendation strategy that you want to delete.
- If the search tool doesn't find the strategy name, then skip to Deleting a Strategy That's Unused or in Inactive Experiences or to Deleting a Recommendation Strategy in an Active Experience, as appropriate.
- If the search tool finds the strategy name associated with one or more unused Product Finder questionnaires, then continue to step 3.
- If the search tool finds the strategy name associated with a Product Finder questionnaire used in one or more active or inactive Web experiences, then skip to Deleting a Recommendation Strategy in a Product Finder Experience.
- Click the name of the questionnaire to open it in the Product Finder wizard.
- Select a different recommendation strategy.
- Click UPDATE in the Changing Recommendation Strategy modal.
- Click NEXT: BEGIN QUESTIONNAIRE.
- If necessary, take any of these actions:
- Click the X in the upper-right corner of the wizard to save the changes if you skipped the previous step, or click EXIT after you finish previewing the questionnaire.
You can now delete the recommendation strategy without impacting the unused Product Finder questionnaire.
Deleting a Strategy That's Unused or in Inactive Experiences
Follow these steps to delete a recommendation strategy that's not used in any Product Finder questionnaires or Web experiences or is part of inactive Web experiences.
- Click COMPONENTS in the top navigation bar, select Product Recommendations, and then click the Recommendation Strategies tab.
- Use the search bar on the Recommendation Strategies list page to find the recommendation strategy that you want to delete, and then click its name to open it.
- Click the additional options menu (...) on the strategy configuration page, and then select Delete.
- Click DELETE in the Delete Recommendation Strategy modal.
The Recommendation Strategies list page loads, and a message confirming that the strategy was successfully deleted briefly appears.